Founded in 1971 by the late Brice W. Herndon and his wife Katherine, the Glendale Memorial Cemetery and Chapel Mausoleum is one of our major proprieties of our Board of Directors which the Herndon family is still seated upon today. We have many new projects planned in the near future, and listed below are a few of the accompaniments of the memorial cemetery.
- Over nine gardens are located in the cemetery.
- Located nearly 65 feet above sea level, ample drainage with drainage fields were installed in the late 1980’s to ensure proper drainage.
- A veteran’s garden was introduced in 2011 which when completed will resemble the appearance of many national cemeteries across the nation.
- A 240 crypt Chapel Mausoleum is located in the east end of the cemetery which houses a Chapel for ceremonies as well as cremation niches.
- The cemetery was paved in the late 1990’s for accessibility throughout the cemetery along with planting of tress for beauty and shade.
In our beautiful acreage, you will find monument and lawn sections. Recently, we have introduced private estates and columbarium; as well as bench memorial reflection sites.
Glendale Memorial Cemetery is divided into many sections. Each section has rules that govern the type of memorial that can be placed on the burial property and at times lot location is determined by the type of headstone desired. You will see some very personal and unique memorials in our grounds, but they fall into two major categories:
- Monument—Traditionally families will choose an upright memorial for their lot, which bears the family name. Individual names and dates can also be inscribed on the monument if you wish, or head/foot markers can memorialize the individual burial spaces.
- Lawn-Level—There are sections that permit only lawn-level (flat) markers.
- Glendale Memorial Cemetery offers a variety of burial, entombment and cremation options. We cater to those with traditional needs as well as those with non-traditional needs. Please let us know what you're looking for, as we are able to accommodate most all cremation requests.
Contact us to learn more about some of the following options and possibilities.
- Family Estates—An individual or family can design the perfect private "garden" estate to accommodate as many or as few people as desired. This can be burial space, cremation space, a private mausoleum — or a combination of any or all of these forms of memorialization.
- Traditional Ground Burial— There is plentiful selections of traditional ground-burial sections in several locations throughout the cemetery.
- Entombment—The Glendale Memorial Chapel Mausoleum provides an affordable alternative for those who prefer above-ground placement.
Our office, which is located in the administrative office of The Brice W. Herndon and Sons Funeral Homes, 1193 Bells Highway, Walterboro, is open Monday through Friday from 9:00am until 5:00pm should you need any assistance.
Also, memorial stones may be purchased in our office from our counselors and staff knows the proper size and style requirements of the cemetery that other dealers would not know or necessarily follow for your protection.